Tuesday 12 April 2011

Whither the weather? Damn cold is where!

The weather's been a bit bloody weird here. Between the locust plagues, the deadly floods, the cyclones and the drought-breaking rains, it's been an interesting summer. Even now, we've had gorgeous sunny days, torrential rain, and snow on the skifields, all in the past two days.

It hasn't been any less interesting in the States. While La Niña brought us rain, her brother El Niño brought record-breaking snow to vast swathes of central and eastern US. Snowmaggedon wreaked all sorts of havoc, and even now, in mid-Spring, it's STILL SNOWING!

I live in a temperate zone by choice. The summers are pleasant - occasionally reaching 40°C (104°F), but usually a few days at a time at most. It's neither a dry heat (like Adelaide) nor a wet heat (like the tropics), and it's always followed by a restorative cool change. In winter, you might get an occasional frost, but they're pretty rare in town. Spring and autumn tend to be a bit of a lucky dip, and four seasons in one day is the norm. And hey, if you don't like the weather in Melbourne? Wait ten minutes, it'll change.

But it doesn't snow.

I'm not quite sure I'm prepared for snow. Or even cold-enough-to snow. I don't know how to dress for that cold. I mean, I'm taking scarves and gloves and a beanie, but will I seriously need thermal underwear too? How hardcore should my coat be? My guess is that everywhere is heated to within an inch of its life, so there'll be the constant cost-gloves-scarf-hat off, coat-gloves-scarf-hat on rigmarole every time you go into and then out of a building.

The ten day forecast is only just starting to overlap with my trip, and it doesn't look too bad yet - no snow, for a start.  Mind you, temperatures in Fareinheit might as well be in Sanskrit for all they mean to me - I can do the calculation, but I have no 'feel' for what, say, 63° means.

Ab's handy temperature conversion table
Farenheit Celcius
40° 4.5° - frickin' bloody cold
45° 7° - still bloody cold
50° 10° - rather chilly
55° 13° - still rather nippy
60° 15.5° - a crisp Melbourne winter's day
65° 18.5° - not too bad
70° 21° - practically Spring-like

No comments:

Post a Comment