Wednesday 13 April 2011

In flight entertainment

This time next week, I will be sitting on a plane over the Pacific (or possibly just the Coral Sea, given I would have left Melbourne only two hours ago).

I will have been up since o'dark thirty (aka 4:15am), after a no doubt less than perfect sleep (I never sleep well when I have an important early alarm). I may try to doze, but more likely, I'll start catching up on some of the movies that came out in the past year that I never quite got to. Almost all my non-kid-movie viewing happens on the back of airplane seats - and I don't even fly all that often.

Turns out that Qantas can tell me exactly what films will be available during my flight (April; MEL-LAX). They include:
  • Animal Kingdom (Strine film, will definitely watch)
  • Black Swan (I've heard it's a love it or hate it film, I can always turn it off if I fall in the latter camp)
  • Fair Game (Valerie Plame story, with Naomi Watts, another excellent Strine actor)
  • The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (I loved the books, have seen the first of these films; must try to see the second in the next few days)
  • Hereafter (Matt Damon, possibly. Films about people dying, possibly in plane crashes, I wouldn't have thought would be on high rotation on airplane video-on-demand lists)
  • Love and Other Drugs (a chick flick for something less serious)
  • Tamara Drewe (I thought that sounded like excellent fun)
  • The Tourist (supposed to be pretty crap, but it's got some pretty actors (Depp & Jolie) in it)
  • Toy Story 3 (still haven't seen it, may be able to rectify that)
Good thing I've got a return trip too - there's more than thirteen hours viewing there. And that doesn't allow for the meal breaks, the loo breaks, the God-my-back-hurts, time-for-a-stretch breaks, and the electronic entertainment-free takeoff and landing periods. And the sleeping catnapping (you can never really sleep in a plane in Economy class).

Hmmm, checking the fine print (always a good idea), it appears that while my outbound trans-Pacific flight is an A380 Airbus, my return flight is only a Boeing 747-400, which has a shorter movie and TV show list. Never mind, I might actually read a book or something. Or try to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment