Friday 29 April 2011

Day 8.1 - Food and drink

Despite being still rather full from last night, I wasn't going to pass up Carlos' breakfast. This morning it was guava empanadas, with a guava sauce. The dough was an excellent shortcrust, and the filling was a glorious deep reddish-orange. It could possibly have done with a side of cream, or even ice cream, to provide some lightness and contrast to the pastry, but it was still excellent.


I don't think I'm going to need much to eat today, but I'll tell you how I went later. Not sure what my plans are today - if the thunderstorms abate as promised, I'll have a wander along the High Line Park, and try to find some suitable doodads for work colleagues. (Last year, I was able to find some personalised dice, appropriate for Vegas.)

****
The thunderstorms did not abate, or rather they continued to come and go, so High Line Park did not happen. Instead, I putzed around until noon, then headed into town. realizing that it was Thursday already, and if I was going to go to see a Broadway show, I'd better pull my finger out. Times Square was as bloody awful and full of drifts of moronic tourists. And when the rain came down again, it got worse. I found some doodads for work people (don't panic, B!), and a t-shirt for me, and tried on 97 pairs of Levi's to see if they had something to substitute my beloved 513s which they discontinued yonks ago. (Answer: no)

Next up, it was time to find some lunch/dinner (ideally would last me the rest of the day). I took far too long trying to find something new and interesting, that I ended up hungry and desperate. I ended up in a diner (Astro Diner at 6th and 55th). Clearly catering largely to tourists, it had a stupidly huge menu, but it also had chairs and was out of the rain.

I ended up choosing the Clam po'boy from the Classics range, mainly because I didn't have the faintest idea what it would be. I didn't think it would be this (and wouldn't have chosen it if I did):




Heavily battered bits of unidentifiable rubbery stuff, stacked on undressed, warm lettuce leaves on an unbuttered toasted hot dog roll, with chips and a mayo with a slight hint of chilli. Meh. The sides, a small pottle of passable coleslaw and half a dill pickle (rather salty, but crisp), arrived well in advance.




I then went to the nearby American Folk Museum (next door to MoMA) but discovered the quilt exhibition I really wanted to see had closed the weekend just gone. However there was a smaller exhibition at a branch of the Museum at Colombus Circle. So off I toddled (see separate post), and then decided I should head home to shower and change before my show.

Back in town, I grabbed an apple slice, which I ate standing outside the theatre foyer. It was good - moist, lots of fruit and cinnamon, a little soggy (not in a bad way).

After the show, I decided to pick up some sushi hand rolls, if only because it was late and I might get peckish later, with no options available. In hindsight, I neither needed the food, nor the ten minute wait for the registers in the 24 hour Walgreens. Never mind. No pics, but they were brown rice inside-out rolls, with vegie stuff that wasn't avocado.

All up, not my most successful day, culinary-wise. Oh well.

1 comment: