Friday 6 January 2012

Madurai - Heritage

Talk about living the high life of a robber cotton baron. You drive through narrow streets of higgledy-piggledy tiny shops and rubbish piled everywhere and people getting by on just a dollar a day or less. And you get to a huge, lush property, with a huge veranda and pool. After the complimentary welcome drink and brief explanation of the rules and amenities, you are taken to your room. K&G, JD & me, and Jos & Ky have adjoining rooms, three of a set of five. Each room has its own plunge pool, of various sizes. Each is a Very generously sized room, with a bathroom the size of a New York apartment. I'll add pics soon.

The minibar beers are at a premium (of course), which means the standard 650ml bottle of Kingfisher costs R200 ($4), rather than the usual R100-R150 ($2-$3). (For the purposes, AUD ~ USD ~ R50). Wine is expensive (comparatively), typically R1200/bottle ($24) - minibar price R650 ($13) for a 375ml bottle, but I don't drink beer. I haven't seen many offers for spirits, so have yet to have a gin & tonic.

Tomorrow afternoon and Sunday morning are our scheduled rest days. I had to take mine a little early, at Bangala due to my urkiness. The boys had some chill-out time yesterday arvo and this morning. I'm not sure if most shops shut on the weekend/just Sunday/not at all, but I might manage to do some unguided shopping/browsing with Mum (K).

Tonight, after a light early supper, we will go to the bed ceremony at the main temple, and return there in the morning. I'll cover that in a later post.

Finally, I do have internet, but it's only available in the main reception area (a huge veranda, and adjacent pool), so I may not get as much done as hoped.

1 comment:

  1. Ooops, forgot to close my strikeout tag. Fixed now!

    ReplyDelete