Sunday 8 January 2012

Emergency room, Apollo Hospital, Madurai

First up, everyone's fine. Secondly, I'm carefully not saying who the patient is, except that it's one of the boys, nor his ailment.

Time: 1am

One of the boys required urgent hospital care to rule out a potentially serious medical issue (or to treat it, if that's what the testing showed was necessary). So far, everything is going largely to plan, and as it would if we were in an Australian hospital.

Ok, so the rooms aren't quite as clean; there are people sleeping in hallways all over the place; they won't let me accompany my son when he is being assessed; the climate control is patchy, and restricted to the treatment areas; and the ambulance used the traditional Indian car horn rather than a siren. So not exactly as it would in Australia.

But the doctors are proceeding with the appropriate tests, with almost the appropriate timeliness, and we will know more soon. I am very glad that I am travelling with two medical practitioners who can translate medical-ese, particularly medical-ese with an Indian accent, into Ab-speak.

2 comments:

  1. Crossing my fingers that the boy will soon be back to normal, and glad it doesn't seem to be anything too scary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! I hope everything is okay by now. I'll keep a good thought for you all. I see you've posted some updates ... off to check those now.

    ReplyDelete