Friday 11 July 2014

Packing list - mental notes

There have been a few things buzzing around my head, and know if I write them down then I'll be able to let them out of my head. So, in no particular order ...

Luggage

We will be travelling with carry-on luggage only (it's a matter of pride as much as one of practicality).

The internal flights (EasyJet, Vueling, Alitalia) allow one smaller cabin bag only, and no additional 'personal bag' (handbag type thing), but with no weight limit. Size restriction is 50cm x 40cm x 20cm to be guaranteed to be in the cabin; slightly larger 56 x 45 x 25cm might have to go in the hold but will not count as stowed luggage (additional charge). You are allowed an overcoat as well, so we'll milk that to its limits.

As I have chosen not to pay extra for any stowed luggage, we'll need to be sure that (a) our main bags meet the size restrictions and (b) our personal bags can be folded up into our main bag.

Emirates Airlines looks like they have similar rules - one piece of carry on luggage only (first and business class get one bag plus and handbag/laptop bag). Weight limit is 7kg. Maximum size is 55cm x 38cm x 20cm. (Serves me right for assuming they allow one personal plus one main cabin bag, which is my experience for every other flight I've been on.) We might need to stow one bag on the way home if we buy much extra stuff while we're away.

Personal bags
The boys will again use their Kathmandu packs, which fold up into themselves to something about the size of a sandwich. I've used this as an excuse to buy a new handbag. JD and I have also each bought a new Scott-E-Vest jacket/vest each of which has two dozen or so pockets. I'll review these separately when they arrive.

Electronica
In addition to power point adaptor(s), we will also take at powerboard. That means we can charge up to four things using one adaptor (this was very useful on the cruise ship (limited power points) and in Japan (limited adaptors)).

WiFi is freely available throughout Europe, so I may not need to take an ethernet-capable netbook. On the other hand, my Asus Transformer gets sucky WiFi signal. The boys have a Samsung Galaxy phone and a 7" mini-tablet respectively, so they're sorted, and JD will have his phone, and will probably take his 7" Nexus too (reading material). I'll take a phone plus one or other of the netbooks.

I need to investigate what mobile phone plan options I have. JD will keep his (work-paid) phone on; I might use my Aldi-plan one, or buy a SIM card over there. International roaming charges in Australia are extortionate, so I'll need to weigh up the cost of doing that vs the pain-in-the-arse-ness of switching numbers.

(EDITED to add: Aldi mobile doesn't do international roaming, so that answers that one. JD will keep his Australian number, I'll get a local SIM over there.)

I've also decided not to take the DSLR - it's just too bulky. I've got a good compact camera which will fit in a small pocket and is WiFi capable to boot.

Clothing
I've tabulated likely weather conditions for each of our locations to help decide the balance of warmer vs cooler weather clothes. We're not particularly fashion conscious, which makes travelling light so much more feasible.

I found a pretty maxi skirt on special which will cover my knees/legs, making it appropriate for entering mosques and churches. Between that, another travel-suitable skirt and/or a summery dress, a pair of knee-length shorts, a pair of jeans and one other pair of long pants, I'm sorted. A selection of short and long sleeved tops to match, a light sweatshirt and a cardigan, plus my Scottevest jacket and I'm all but packed.

One pair of lace up walking shoes and one pair of black comfortable sandals will suffice, together with an appropriate number of socks, jocks and bras. I'll also throw in a silk scarf or two, with which to cover my head in Dubai, and dress up an outfit in Europe (25 ways to wear a scarf, heck, there's even an app for that) . And a pair of togs (swimming costume), and a hat.

JD and the boys will need a similar range of clothes - jeans plus another pair of long pants, two pair of shorts, sandals plus runners/walking shoes, range of t-shirts, light jumper plus softshell jacket, togs, hat, jocks & socks.

Of course, all clothes need to be crush-resistant/not require ironing, lightweight, quick-drying, and dirt-resistant. Not all that difficult in this day and age, thankfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment