Saturday 5 July 2014

Europe 2014: Florence

Florence remains one of my favourite cities - I love the architecture and the art, and Renaissance is my favorite era (then the Impressionists). Between the boys playing Assassin's Creed, and Jos doing an assignment on the duomo, I hope they love it too.

We'll have three nights/two full days here.

First up, of course, is the Duomo (cathedral), campanile (bell tower) and the baptistry. Ideally we'd climb at least one of the cupola or the campanile. (Lonely Planet suggests waiting until after 4pm when the tour buses have gone.)

Assuming the queues aren't too long and/or we pre-book, we'd need to do at least one of the Uffizi (Renaissance art out the wazoo) or the Galleria dell'Accademia (incl Michelangelo's David, and Slaves).

The boys might be more keen on fortress palaces, like Palazzo Vecchio.

And I'm still kicking myself for not getting a soft florentine leather jacket all those years ago - that might be on the list this time around.

What do you think we should do/avoid?


No comments:

Post a Comment