Wednesday 23 July 2014

Mobile phone use while in Europe

I learned a bit back that my Aldi mobile plan doesn't do roaming. So I've been keeping half an ear out for alternative solutions. Ideally, I'd be able to seamlessly forward calls to my current number, but that might be a pipe dream. Alternatively, I'd like a single number to reach me on for the whole time I'm over there, preferably one know before I leave.

When looking around the RACV website for info regarding the International Drivers Permit, I found a page about RoamingSIM. The idea sounds great: reasonably low call and text rates in around 200 countries; call forwarding works, and you also get an Australian landline number that locals can ring to connect to you.

Being the smart little cookie that I am, I checked out some reviews. They were not good. In fact, they were rather damning. It looks like the various other equivalents (eg Woolworths) can be just as bad. And I'm not the only one unimpressed with the choices. (Here's an explanation of how Global SIMs work, and why the sound quality and customer service is often lousy.)

It looks like I might have to get au fait with Skype, a WiFi Dialer app (various options), and/or local SIMs. Fortunately, WiFi seems fairly ubiquitous throughout the bits of Europe we're going to. Oh, and FWIW, my new phone is a Samsung Galaxy S5 (3G).

Here are a couple of other links that might be useful:

  • Lots of useful comments to the SMH article linked above
  • Pay as you go SIM with Data wiki (the Australia page seems fairly comprehensive). 
    • The Italian option page notes that you might need a codice fiscale for online purchases and ID.
    • Given our relatively remote location in France, I might enquire which network would be best.
  • Whirlpool discussion re SIMs for a month in Europe (hint: buy a UK one)

Do you have any experience with buying SIMs for travel in Europe? Good, bad or otherwise?

3 comments:

  1. This one reads as pure PR, but I spotted it today: http://www.smh.com.au/small-business/startup/goodbye-global-roaming-20140615-3a5jc.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the good info! My wife and I are planning a trip to Rome earl next summer, and I honestly have no idea how to handle roaming charges and data usage. You've got some seriously needed tips and research in here to get us started. Hopefully we'll be able to find something that allows her to share all the pictures and stories she wants while we're travelling but doesn't break my bank!

    Brian Hopkins @ Microtips USA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Using mobile phones whilst travelling can be quite tricky when it comes to roaming charges. There are a range of options for choosing the best roaming sims for travelling or for use as a secondary contact. Network providers are able to provide you with sims that can suit your budgets as well as the countries you are travelling to.

    Raymond @ CKS Global Solutions LTD

    ReplyDelete