Saturday 5 July 2014

Europe 2014: Paris

I've spent a bit of time in Paris. I climbed the Eiffel tower in its centenary year, and spent New Year's Eve 1989 in a bar in Paris somewhere. (Still annoyed at myself that I didn't go to Berlin instead - that was the year the wall came down.)

We have two nights, but only one day (arriving early evening on Saturday, and departing very early Monday morning).

The boys want to see the Eiffel Tower, and L'Arc de Triomphe and Notre Dame. And they *will* see Sainte-Chapelle.

They really should see the Louvre (not for the Mona Lisa, which is astonishingly underwhelming, but for more of Michalangelo's slaves and all the other fabulous art), but I might be pushing shit uphill for that one, particularly given our time constraints. There's also L'Orangerie (w Monet's waterlilies) and the wonderful Musee d'Orsay. While I could easily spend a day in each of the Louvre and d'Orsay, we might have to skip them this time.

Versailles might be worth squeezing in, although Sacre-Coeur in Montmartre might be easier to fit in.

What would be on your one-day-in-Paris list? What if you had a teen and a tween with you?

No comments:

Post a Comment