Tuesday 22 August 2017

Scotland Day 0 - Edinburgh New Town

Australia really is the arse-end of the world, sorry, arts end. I mean, it's a bloody fantastic place to live, and I wouldn't trade my citizenship for anything (but, I'd supplement it with an EU one - I have no intention of being a federal politician), but damn it's a long way from Europe. Fifteen hours from Melbourne to Doha, Qatar, and a further seven and a half to Edinburgh, and that makes it a bloody long time without a proper night's kip.

The plane landed in Edinburgh around half-twelve, on schedule, and we progressed through immigration, baggage collection and customs, in a large uninsulated, unair-conditioned hangar. No wonder they don't cope with heatwaves of 30+! I then took the tram into town, and walked the kilometre or so to my accommodation, arriving around 2:30pm. As my room wasn't ready, I left my luggage and wandered back to a bar I'd passed, called the White Black Fox, and had a restorative glass of bubbles (it might be mid-afternoon local time, but it was after midnight by my body clock).



I fell into conversation with two lovely women, nurses who had trained together in Glasgow, and made a point of catching up once a year when they were in the same country. Amongst other things, I learnt that the weather on the west coast is quite different to that of the east coast, and that some of the beaches could be in the Caribbean, with golden sand and clear water, except that it's just a tad cooler.

My room was ready when I returned to my room, and as expected was compact student accommodation. Except that there are no tea-making facilities, it is perfectly adequate for my needs. Each room has an ensuite (shower, toilet, basin, plus a motion sensitive light which plunges the room into darkness if your shower is more than three minutes), a bed (something halfway between a single and a double), a tiny desk, a heater, and a window that can open a little way from the top, or a little way from the side, but neither way enough to allow for proper air movement.
(I have no doubt that Emma, travel agent extraordinaire, would have found more central accommodation at a similar price had I not jumped the gun, but I'm only a £1.60 bus fare from the middle of Old (or New) Town, and I have a friendly bar, staffed by Strines, with cheap bubbles, just around the corner.)

Having showered (aaaahhhh!) and checked email/skype/facebook, I then walked back to (New) Town. I meandered about, considered buying a half-price ticket to a random Fringe Festival event, and eventually found a pop-up bar that served bubbles. The first two I went to didn't extend to my preferred tipple, so I had to go for the more upmarket/table service only option. I suspect (from the charge name on the credit card) that all the pop-up bars in that area were operated by the same mob, Malones. This one was called Fizz and Pearl, serving Moet and Oysters, but also Bombay Sapphire gin, and a range of other Scottish seafood (they were out of the trout, so I went with the salmon). It was rather delightful to sit in the sunshine and people watch for a while.

After a bit more wandering, I felt I needed just a tad more to eat. Turns out KFC chips in Scotland (at least) are largely indistinguishable from Macca's ones - ie shoestring rather than fatter fries, doused in chicken salt. Chalk it up to a learning experience.

I returned to my apartment, and ended up flaking out. I'd walked plenty, hadn't slept in two days, and had got some sunshine, so I didn't feel too guilty. I woke at 11pm or so, but was able to get back to sleep soon after, and slept through till about 5am.

No comments:

Post a Comment