Monday 18 July 2011

Day 5: This is what it's about

Although Wanaka was cloudy and dreary, the snow report promised clear and sunny, and the forecasts for the past few days have promised that today would be a good day. And heck, if worst came to worst, we could drive up the mountain, and make a decision at the top like we did yesterday.

We got away later than we hoped, having spent ten minutes looking JD's new merino cap. Thankfully we found it once we'd decided to drop into town to get a new one. We were in the middle of a very long line of cars snaking its way up the Crown Ranges, and then up the access road.

As we came out of town, there was a big, fat, just past full moon sitting over the snow-capped mountain, and later, we could see the soft pink first rays of the sun kiss the tops of the mountains. Not only beautiful in its own right, it also promised clear skies and therefore great skiing.

Given the late start and the great forecast and the long line of cars, I figured we'd be parked well down the mountain. However, we didn't have to stop to put on chains, and we ended up at the start of the last row in the top carpark (ie great park). The weather was mild and the wind was fair, and the sun was shining. Wooo-hooo!


I went off to organise tickets while JD helped the boys get their boots on and get the skis off the car. Once we were all ready, we took the boys over and signed them into the day program (Archway Westside), and then headed off down the mountain.


JD and I had a great day - lots of skiing, no injuries. JD managed some blue runs (even if only under duress, to meet me at Captains for lunch); I got some good black runs (and even enjoyed them - I'm often borderline terrified on some of them).



My best stack of the day was sliding down rather more of the Tailgate run on my back than was decorous - the snow was very hard-packed and very fast. I eventually managed to get my skis below (rather than above) me to slow my slide, and completed the run. I avoided the Valley View runs and lift until late afternoon, when the sun had had a chance to soften it up a bit. It was still a bit meh, but it gave me a full resort-length run, from the top of Whitestar to the bottom of Valley View. My quads had built up a bit of lactic by the end of that, not least because it was (unintentionally) mostly black run.

Captains basin was more like spring skiing - soft, verging on slushy snow, sun and moderate breezes. Unfortunately, it also had spring skiing type lift queues - long. JD spent most of the day on the McDougall chair, with some wide beginners runs, with a few options to test things a little more. I joined him mid afternoon, and we took the Queenstown run (over the back, view to Q'town), joining the beginner's runs and saw both boys in action.


Ky had been promoted again, this time to blue, and had done five chairlift runs by the end of his second full day on skis. Jos was also doing very well, and they both had a fantastic day.

(Jos in action, wearing red jacket and grey beanie, above)

(Ky in red jacket and red beanie, above)

No comments:

Post a Comment