Sunday 8 May 2011

My Favorite Place B&B - truth in advertising

This was my home away from home while I was in NY, and it was wonderful.

I found them when a friend suggested looking at B&Bs as a possible accommodation type.  My requirements for  accommodation were not too challenging:
  • not stupidly expensive (it's New York, so "stupidly" is a relative term)
  • own bathroom (I'm willing to share, but only with someone I know)
  • own room (I'm too curmudgeonly to sleep in a dorm)
  • close to public transport
  • not too far from town, but not too close
  • wifi
  • not too noisy (not above a pub or nightclub)
My Favorite Place B&B ticked all the boxes: $100/night single, $125 double (at the time); own bathroom and bedroom; a couple of blocks from the 6 line, the 2,3 line and only a touch further to the B and C lines. A few locals hinted a little trepidation at it being in Harlem, but nothing to be too concerned about. Yes, I was one of very few white faces in East Harlem, but I didn't feel remotely vulnerable, let alone threatened, even though I was often out quite late. And I certainly never felt uncomfortable riding the subway at all hours of the day and night. The reviews suggested the breakfasts were good, but rather understated things. And they cheerfully acquired a kettle just for me.

Extra bonus points were awarded for windows that opened (exceptionally rare in hotels); quiet (being at the back of the building the street noise was very muted); and the charming hosts, Carlos and Cesar.


The only thing I would change would be to include a bar fridge in the room, a suggestion I passed on to C&C - I would be surprised if they haven't already acquired one.

And just to recap the extraordinary breakfasts that Carlos prepared (each day served with tea, juice, cereal, yoghurt and fruit):


There was the death by chocolate muffin on day one - rich, moist, utterly exquisite, served with butter icing, caramel sauce and fresh strawberries.

Day two was home-made full fat ricotta, with a sprinkling of salt, on squares of perfectly cooked toast, with a side of soft-set, super-chunky marmalade. I gave up having cereal after day two.

The next day, day three, was freshly baked buttermilk scones - light, fluffy, tender, flakey, just perfect - served with lightly stewed apple and pear, with cinnamon. Mmmm-mmmm.

Day four, Carlos prepared pan de bono, Colombian cheese puffs, light and fluffy, with a  side of rum and raisin shortbread, which was, without exception, the very best shortbread I've ever had.


Next up was chocolate scones, again light and flakey and not sweet, served with lightly stewed strawberries.


Day six was a croque monsier (aka ham and cheese toasted sanga), plus a serve of red velvet cake (light, not overly sweet), with a dollop of caramel semi-freddo. Very yum.


The next morning was bread and butter pudding, with Grand Marnier-infused crème anglais, which was sublime, together with soft oatmeal cookies, topped with light-as-air whipped cream.


Guava empanadas were my breakfast on day eight - an excellent shortcrust encasing a deep reddish-orange filling. I think this could have done with something light, like cream, or semi-freddo, or ice cream to contrast, but it was still very very good.


For my final breakfast at B&B, Carlos prepared banana and walnut muffins, with a little frosting and some chocolate sauce. While combining two of my 'I don't really like those' ingredients, Carlos managed to make another magnificent and delicious creation



In short, I would not hesitate to recommend these guys. While I was there, they were in talks to open a bigger, multi-occupancy B&B, and I wish them every success. I will definitely be staying with them next time in New York.

No comments:

Post a Comment