Tuesday 26 August 2014

Two and a half weeks to go!

We're now two and a half weeks from take-off, and while I've knocked over a few of the things on my to-do list, there are still a bunch to go.

What I have done:

  • Organised International Drivers Permits for both JD and me
  • Bought spare battery for camera (actually three, after the first one took so long I doubted it would come at all - who knew that the best route from Hong Kong to Australia was via Sweden?)
  • Advised school of boys' absence
  • Renewed scripts for medicines, still need to get extra refill to cover period away
  • Confirmed no additional vaccinations required (although we didn't get the HepA booster we should have after India, and probably should follow up)
  • Decided I'll get an Italian SIM while I'm there, rather than any of the other options
  • Prepared a first-draft packing list, and discovered that JD and the boys will need to do some clothes shopping before we go (see after the jump)
  • Booked JD and the boys for haircuts a week before we leave
  • Added weather reports of a few of our key locations so I can distract myself when it's cold and wet outside. It's 3:30am in Cahus, and 18C there right now - that's higher than today's forecast maximum and it's a relatively warm day today.
  • Got a couple of collapsible water bottles (freebies from Yarra Trams)


I'm also keeping a close eye on Iceland's volcanoes which are threatening to blow. After the disruption caused by the 2010 eruption of Eyjafjallajokull, I'm a little wary of what might happen. At the very least, I'll be sure to have at least one extra week's worth of medicines with me. And travel insurance to cover any losses.

As an aside, Australia's Civil Aviation Safety Authority now allows mobile devices to be used during take-off and landing, and Qantas and Virgin have formally received approval. I decided to check Emirates policy, and it appears it's been okay all along (as long as they're in flight mode). Yay! I definitely won't need to get a paperback version for flying.

Lauren at the office is keen to see our packing list, so for her benefit, here's the draft list for clothing


No comments:

Post a Comment