Thursday 31 March 2011

Packing list

I'm a wee bit of a control freak.  Which means I've already started thinking about my packing list for NY.

I travel light - carry on only, at least for the outbound flight.  International flights have a maximum weight limit for carry-on baggage of seven kg (15 lb).  Given the bag itself usually weighs 1.5 to 2kg, one has to be very discriminating in what one packs.  I've travelled with carry-on only when travelling with infants and older children, when travelling for several weeks at a time, and when travelling in winter, and all of the above.  The kids get a bag each; JD and I share a bag; and the fourth bag has the in-flight entertainment (books, electronica, snacks etc).  It helps that I'm not remotely fashion conscious, and that I am only taking a second pair of shoes in case my main pair get wet or damaged.

There are oodles of websites which purport to generate packing lists, but the one I've found most useful is that at www.onebag.com.  For each item the author includes on his list, he explains why it's necessary and which particular brands/models he's found most effective.

Because this blog is mainly for me, and because its always a good idea to have a copy of your packing list somewhere where you won't lose it, here is mine.  (And I will be editing this as I go.)


CLOTHING (everything goes with everything, it's all black and purple and teal)

  • on the plane: jeans, belt, long sleeve t, shell jacket, walking shoes
  • casual: 2-3 more long sleeve t's, 1-2 short sleeve t's, cardigan, jumper (which can be layered for warmth)
  • dressy: nice trousers, dress shirt/blouse, comfortable but somewhat dressier shoes, possibly a dressy jacket (if I'm tight for space, I might leave these out and buy them when I'm over there)
  • warmth (it's still snowing in NYC): long johns/leggings, gloves/scarf/beanie, wind & waterproof trench coat
  • exercise: usual yoga/pilates gear, togs (bathers/swimmers) & goggles
  • accessories: a couple of necklaces, pair of earrings, my Hermes scarf and scarf ring
  • jocks and socks, nightwear (I'll be sharing a room for the last few days)
  • a sarong (even more useful than a towel, never mind what The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy says)

DOCUMENTS
  • Passport, visa, eticket/booking number (and electronic copy of same)
  • Credit cards, drivers licence (and electronic copy of same)
  • Business cards, both personal and work
  • Guidebook, NY Pass (and electronic copy of same)

ELECTRONICA/ENTERTAINMENT
  • iPad (fully charged, with games and eBooks and exercise videos and photos already loaded)
  • Bluetooth keyboard, for use with iPad (I'll actually buy this in the US)
  • iPhone and charger (confirm international roaming turned on, filled up with audiobooks and podcasts)
  • Earphones
  • iPad camera adaptors (for SD card, and for camera USB)
  • Camera and charger and necessary connectors.  I'll probably only take one lens.
  • Aus to US plug adaptor
  • Novels, pens (ball point less likely to leak inflight than gel), cryptic crossword book
  • Day bag/camera bag/inflight "handbag" (allowed in addition to main carry-on bag)

BATHROOM/MEDICINAL
  • Daily pills - BCP, AD, MV, antihistamine
  • Asthma meds - Ventolin and Symbicort
  • Selection of painkillers, tampons
  • Contact lenses and solution (in travel size packs)
  • Shampoo/conditioner/facial cleanser/hair gel, each in small a specimen jar
  • Soap (eczema-safe non-soap) in ziploc bag (just enough for three weeks)
  • SPF 15+ moisturiser, deodorant
  • Toothbrush/toothpaste/dental floss
  • Small selection of makeup

MISCELLANEOUS
  • Earplugs, travel pillow (inflatable)
  • Sunglasses and case
  • Basic first aid kit; basic sewing kit
  • Small change purse (to put Aus currency in, clearing out wallet for local currency)
  • Fold up bag, for additional luggage capacity on way back/extra day bag
  • Water bottle
  • Lip balm
Once I've packed it, I'll let you know what it tips the scales at.

2 comments:

  1. I looove reading other peoples' lists, seriously. I've bookmarked you now and can't wait to hear all about your travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be sure to include lots of lists, just for you. And because I like lists too.

    ReplyDelete